Expressing Motherhood is a stage show that showcases stories about, well, motherhood. Since 2008, moms have been sharing their stories at Expressing Motherhood performances across the country.
The show is built for the non-famous, non-published, and people who want to get out and express themselves. The average cast consists of ten people, and the lineup changes for each show. Performers submit in advance, and are chosen based on the power of their stories.
Thrown Stone’s performances of Expressing Motherhood will take place on Tuesday, July 23rd, 7 and 9pm, at Ridgefield Conservatory of Dance. All performers must attend one rehearsal, Saturday, July 20th, from 9am – 1pm.
Compelled to share your own powerful story of motherhood? Please submit the form below, and Thrown Stone Co-Artistic Director Jason Peck will be in touch. Submissions accepted until May 1.
From an audience member:
“I loved this show. I laughed out loud. I couldn’t pry myself away. I was having too much fun. The women reminded me of everything that I had feared about becoming a mother. About becoming so human that I felt everything around me, good and bad, and could no longer only focus on what I wanted, what I thought was important in my world.”
Expressing Motherhood (Connecticut) accepts monologues, skits, songs, dances, etc.
We are looking for local voices to share your stories, your work, your anecdotes, your conversations
The first person ever cast was a gay father. That being said you need not be a mom, the story just has to be yours and pertain to motherhood.
Tips for a great submission
- Write a piece that is no longer than 5 minutes when read aloud. You can memorize it or bring your notes up.
- Short is sweet
- Make your piece specific and personal. Stay away from broad, “motherhood is hard” pieces.
- Your piece must be about your story regarding motherhood.
- Make sure you can attend both rehearsal and all performances
- Write your name on your piece
- Attach your submission or paste it in the form below
REHEARSAL AND PERFORMANCE INFO
- Submissions deadline: May 1, 2019
- Performance Date/Times: Tuesday, July 23rd 7pm & 9pm
- Mandatory Rehearsal: Saturday, July 20th 9am-1pm